Yamaha Orchestra

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:31:49 -0600

At 04:13 PM 6/11/97 EDT, Ralph wrote:

>Do your group a favor and recommend they consider more than one
>manufacturer.
>
>Certainly the American Steinway should be investigated as well. Also, a
>little poll of visiting artists (pianists) wouldn't hurt either. What
>does their resident pianist say?

Just for information, the contract/riders for almost ALL classical
performers I've ever tuned for specify a "Steinway or Bosendorfer concert
piano in good regulation tuned to A=440."

The few I've asked said they'd play a Yamaha if they had to, but they prefer
the pedals on a Steinway since that's what they practice on.

>Your best bet is to recommend a few and let them make the choice. If they
>make a wrong one, it's THEIR recommendation...not yours.

One alternative would be to send the old Steinway back to the factory for
restoration... it's a LOT cheaper than a new piano and it's still
"certified" by Steinway!

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com