Jumping Tuning pins:a

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:19:33 -0700 (PDT)

(Driving new tuning pins in to a uniform depth:)

> I tried a shank taped to the punch, but it kept moving.
>Whadya think? Regards, Sam Grossner.

I tape a shank to the punch with duct tape, the whole length of the shank,
and I drive in the pins and stop when the shank is a hairsbreadth _above_
the plate. That way the measurement doesn't change. A good light helps.
Stopping before the shank touches also prevents the shank from leaving a
dimple in the wood, if you are restringing an open pinblock.

I think its better to leave the pins a shade high when you drive them in the
first time, then use the Instacoiler, neaten the coils (they'll need a lot
less neatening than with other methods), then do a rough chipping, and THEN
level them the last bit with the shank and punch. That way they end up
_really_ uniform in height.

Hope this helps.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

The hidden flaw never remains hidden.
Exceptions prove the rule ... and wreck the budget.
	-- from Warren Fisher's HUMOR 117.