Emil Fries Remembrance

PFRANCOM PFRANCOM@prodigy.net
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:42:49 -0700

privately, I will try to add a little more information regarding Emil
Fries..

Born Feb. 11th, 1901

Died June 7th, 1997

Received H.S. diploma & Certificate in Piano Tuning from the Washington
State School for the Blind, in Vancouver, Wa.

Taught at the school while earning enough to put himself thru the
University of Washington.  After college returned to the School for the
Blind and became the head of the Piano Tuning department.

When vocational training was eliminated due to buget cuts, Emil and his
wife pooled thier assets and openned the Emil Fries Piano Hospital and
Training Center.  1949..  The school is a non-profit organization, and
continues on today..  Although they started accepting sighted students
several years ago..  Since it's begining, the school has trained and
graduated hundreds of productive piano technicians.

Emil Fries has recieved almost every award the the PTG has to offer. I
feel that he was truly one of the Greatest Men of our industry.

I would suggest that any cards or Memorial Gifts be sent to:

The Emil Fries Piano Hospital & Training Center
2501 East Evergreen Blvd.
Vancouver, WA 98661

The current director of the School is Mr. Ken Servess, who was in the
first graduating class...

Again, Please pass the word to anyone who may not have access to this
list.

Paul Francom
Portland, OR