pin height, driving fluid, beckets

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 07:44:03 -0500

Richard brings up some interesting points.

Richard Moody wrote:

> How much the strings bear down on the string felt is how far the pins
> will be driven.  IMHO

This is not so easy to accomplish since there is a variety of string
felt used there, just as the strings leave the agraffes or capo, on the
way to the tuning pins.  Sometimes it is an extremely firm felt,
sometimes (especially on rebuilds) it is a soft, fuzzy felt, and
sometimes it is fiberboard covered with bushing cloth.  Richards's point
must be taken seriously by rebuilders (and manufacturers) when they
choose this felt.  It should be thick and firm enough that when the
strings bear down, the felt should offer some resistance - and dampening
effect - as the string is positioned parallel to the plate on its way to
the tuning pin.

>         Why Steinway had four turns in the upper treble hopefully will
> be answered.

Let's hear from the experts......Michael?  Stephen?

> ps Can the stringing job be such that the pins stand at the same
> degree so that the tuning hammer will be at the same angle?  That
> WOULD be first class.

Wouldn't this be in the drilling of the block, if I understand the
question?  Both drilling angle and size of drill bit would determine the
uniformity of the tuning pin position.  If the hole is too "sloppy," the
tuning pin, when the string is brought up to pitch, will tend to
straighten up and this happens unevenly throughout the block.  Even more
important, IMO, is the fit of the block to the plate flange.  Some of
our most repected manufacturers are sometimes very lax on this procedure
and the whole block pulls toward the tail, moving the pins so they touch
the plate.  I know there are lots of pin block-plate screws in there,
but it happens; I guess wood is somewhat flexible.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas