Jumping Tuning pins:a

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:20:46 -0700 (PDT)

>It kinda suprised me,
>but apparently the overall long-term torque is smoother and more consistant
>when the pin is driven, at least the last bit before final chip&tune.

Thank you, Guy! Can you divulge what your chapter member said about number
of plies? My feeling is that I don't want heaps of scrawny thin ones,
separated by heat-set glue ... too much glue, not enough wood. Opinions?

Yours,

Susan

At 09:46 PM 6/16/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Sam wrote:
> Good idea, Susan, however, once the pin starts a thread by turning, is there
>>>a chance of messing up the friction by driving it anew? Probably not, I've
>>>done it this way too.
> Sam --
>>That idea never occurred to me. I haven't encountered the problem, but I
>>don't know if it happens or not. The final distance is very small.
>>
>>Anybody out there who knows about this and can tell us?
>
>Susan,
>	I won't get into my technique, but to answer your question about driving
>vs turning, we had a chapter member who had worked for years at various
>factories, in r&d and QC. We had a long chat one night and he related
>results of some several hundred pin block experiments involving many
>factors, including the effects of driving the pins. It kinda suprised me,
>but apparently the overall long-term torque is smoother and more consistant
>when the pin is driven, at least the last bit before final chip&tune.
>	He also mentioned several other suprising things about blocks, and the
>difference between numbers of plies, etc. I think there's more than one
>factory-type person on this list that may be able to alter our perceptions
>about what makes a good, tight block. ?  ?  ?
>Guy Nichols, RPT
>nicho@lascruces.com
>	You are what your deep driving desire is.
>	As your desire is, so is your will.
>	As your will is, so is your deed.
>	As your deed is, so is your destiny.
>		--Brihadaranyaka Upanishad IV.4.5

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn 365
useless things."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant