Susan, Sam and list

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 06:14:29 -0700

Susan Kline wrote:

> At 11:32 PM 6/17/97 -0500, Paul wrote:
> >List:
> >    I once had this sliding-hammer coil setting tool, but quit using it
> >after I heard that it might nick the bottom of the wire and cause
> >premature wire failure.  A prominent technician in our area discovered
> >that after he used the tool (which he used to use regularly) would
> >cause wires to break, and he stopped using it.  Anyone have this
> >experience?
> >Paul McCloud, RPT  San Diego Chapter
> >
> Thanks for passing that on, Paul. I've never had wire break from it, but it
> might bear a little investigation, by taking some wire off and looking at
> the bottom of the coil under magnification. It might also be good to look at
> the various tools under magnification and see if there was an especially
> sharp or rough edge on his.
>
> I use the tool mainly to lift or tap down coils while the string is well
> below pitch, which might affect the results some.

I have a tool which I use a lot for lifting coils which is shaped like a
gently sloped ski jump.  About 2" from the handle it slopes down and
bends back right at the end which is narrow enough (1/4") to go between
the pins and flares out into a "Y" that is curved to fit the side of the
pin.  On the under side where it bends down is a groove that allows one
to use an adjacent pin top as a lever point to lift the coils.  It is
made of some kind of white metal that will not nick anything, just like
brass. After I use it for a while, I have to hammer it back into the
correct slope again.  Does any one else have one of these?  I've had it
for years and apparently no one sells it anymore.

If anyone would be interested in making one, I'll trade pictures and
dimensions for a finished tool!  :-)

Just a thought,

Warren

--