unsubscribing

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:43:02 -0700

JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> List;
>   When ptg.org became our server and effectively split the old pianotech line
> into two groups, i.e. CAUT and Pianotech, I made the conscious decision not
> to subscribe to the CAUT list.  My reason for not doing so was the seeming
> disdain for comments, that while meant in a collegial nature, which did not
> stick to strictly technical topics.  That is OK, if you do not enjoy
> companionable discourse mixed in with technical exchange. I do.  Therefore my
> decision not to subscribe to CAUT.

Jim, I'm getting CAUT in digest form and the little I glanced at it, you
ain't missed much yet!  What I've seen so far is a bunch of back-patting
and trying to arrange it so the non-cauts can be identified or kept off
the list.  Does that sound familiar? I think those people should  get
their own list-server and monitor it anyway they like!
What'cha think?

One complaint that the recent departees brought up was the amount of
basic stuff that is on the list now, and that novices should go to local
people that are respected for their experience rather than to list
members whose credentials are unknown.   In those areas of the country
where experienced technicians guard their tech knowledge more than they
do their young daughters, if we don't set them straight, who will ?
Every time I go to convention I meet people who are starved for
information because their local competitors are just that.  In all the
nastiness of the practice!  I can understand how a senior
"super-technician" might be bored with that kind of discussion, but an
open forum is for the benefit of all its' members however experienced!
Then there's another side of the coin.  Something that is one persons'
"ho-hum, ben thar dun dat", may be another's pot of gold!  There should
something for all the members

>   I can appreciate time constraints that affect us all.  But.... if the same
> attitude was applied to customers as applied here, i.e. "just the facts Mam"
> with no polite discourse I wonder where our businesses would be ?
>   If I have missed the point, or boat, please let me know.

I'm with you Jim, I really enjoyed it back when there was anarchy on the
List.  Of course I had just joined the internet not too long before and
didn't know any better! I now realize there must be some moderation, but
I think it has gone from one extreme to the other!  One of the things I
have enjoyed the most is becoming "un-met" friends with a lot of people
on this list.  I intend to rectify the "un-met" part with some of them
in July!

Have a nice week,

Warren

--