pin height, driving fluid, beckets

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 23:40:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

The slope which you speak of is required in order that the treble strings
will be at a lower plane to pass under the Bass overstringing. This slope
also allows for a continuous level pinblock upper surface. This slope is
not required for the Bass whose strings are at a higher elevation.

The inclined plane or plate THEY were referring to has to do usually
with open face pinblocks which are slanted upward from the Agraffes.
They are a little difficult to replace - lots of cutting and fitting.
There were some old Chickerings which had pinclock segments machine
screwed up to the bottom of the plate from below. Some of these had
slanted surfaces. There were several European grands which had slanted
pinblocks.

Jim Coleman, Sr.