Hamburg Steinway Hammers -Reply

Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:28:04 -0700

Vince,

_Used_ to be that the Hamburg Renners were pressed to different
specifications, and used slightly different felt.

Having just used another set, I still prefer them to any other hammer - for
the Hamburg Steinway.

I am interested in your comment re: Wally's hammers.  They pose different
problems than some others, but are quite capable of excellent tone and
response.  I should note that I tend to use the Encore and not the Concert
Encore version.

Best.

Horace

At 03:44 PM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Anyone know what specific differences there are between Hamburg Renners
and their "production" sets, if any?

>Yes, the real thing is from Renner.
>
>However, it is not the same as other hammers made by Renner for other
>consumption.
>
>Like Bösendorfer, Steinway's hammers from Renner are made to exclusive
>specifications.
>
>As noted in my previous post, the closest competition is from Wally.
>
>Not in my book.
>Vince

Horace Greeley

Stanford University