Adjusting Drop

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:26:13 -0500

Dave Sanderson wrote:

> Hello tech friends,
>
> I have learned that drop and let-off are to occur simultaneously.   In
> struggling to make this happen "simultaneously" I have developed a method
> which I think works and would like to share my method and open it up for
> discussion on the list to see if there is anyone else doing it this way.
> I am interested in knowing if anyone can see a reason why this method
> wouldn't  be an accurate enough way to set the drop.
>
> First I adjust the let-off properly with the drop screws up enough to be
> out of the picture.

I would like to hear comments on this method also. However I'm confused
by your statement about the drop screws up enough to be out of the
picture. If the drop screws are high, you cannot see the hammer fall at
letoff.

Here is the way that I see this adjustment procedure. When the hammer is
lifted to expose the jack and whippen, the weight of the key will raise
the whippen until it is stopped by either the jack meeting the
regulation botton or the whippen meeting the drop regulating screw. I
like to do this with the action turned around so the backchecks facing
me. By moving the back end of the key and watching the jack you can
easily see if the letoff and drop occur together. Sometimes you can feel
the contact but if the jack moves up before it moves back, you know that
the drop screw made contact first.

My question about this is that usually when you adjust the drop screw
contact time to occur simutaneously with the jack meeting the regulating
button, you won't see the hammer fall after letoff. Does this matter?

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN