The exodus

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 20:34:48 -0700

Comments interspersed

Jim wrote:

> The numbers you cite indicate that there has not been a great exodus.

Those were not my figures, but Keith's.  I don't know where he gets them
from.  He has said such things before.  Also that was out of last weeks
digest.  So it may be more now.

> But have you
> noticed recently how much more manageable the pianotech list is now?
> Even the attitude is better.

It's hard to have a good attitude when you are wondering where the next
"shot" will be coming from.  :-)

> I do agree
> that their concerns are perhaps a little different from the general run,
> but not necessarily on a higher plane.

Different strokes,etc. I expect that when they run out of creative
inspiration over there, that they will be back.  The smart ones will
probably just lurk here on the off chance the we might come up with
something worth their consideration!

> I retired from ASU in '89
> Scheduling is much simpler now. I seldom see broken strings or pianos
> that go out of tune in 1 week. I enjoy this kind of freedom.

One week! Hmm. I thought I was the only person that had that problem!
:-)  Seriously, I have always had problems in that area where the scale
changes from agraffes to iron!!  Even with lubrication, there is a whole
lot of difference in the feel through the tuning hammer. That first
unison on the v-bar is always the one that is going to slip if any!  Do
you have any good tricks to handle that?

> PS It sure is good to only have 40 or 50 posts a day isn't it?

Yes it is Jim, but it may not last long after people find out the
alligators have left the pond!  Actually I'm getting less than that,
because I get ptg-l in digest also.

Thanks for the "flowers" and the chat, I always enjoy your posts,

Warren
--
Home of the Humor List
Warren D. Fisher