cleaning & smoke odor

Fri, 20 Jun 1997 23:45:37 -0700

Tom,

It's way too late to be up worrying about pianos.

Especially on Friday night.

I do agree, however, I've never seen truly successful
smoke removal - except of course for the expedient
of using the subject instrument as a boat anchor,
or piece of breakwater...

Sorry.

Best.

Horace

At 11:18 PM 6/20/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Danny Moore wrote:
>>
>> Apart from trailering through the local coin op car wash, what can be
>> done to remove the smoke odor?
>
>John W. McKone wrote:
>>
>> Look for an "ozone room" in your area.  Companies that do fire damage
furniture insurance claims are likely candidates to have one.  In my area,
you can stick a piano in one of these places overnight for about $30.
>> .-
>John,
>I took a class at the Philadelphia convention about flood- and
>fire-damaged pianos and the instructor strongly cautioned against
>putting pianos in ozone rooms (for the purpose of smoke odor removal). I
>remember him saying that smoke odor can be reduced but *not* eliminated,
>despite reports to the contrary. He did not talk about cigaret smoke
>specifically or about what affect ozone has on glue joints, felt, etc.
>but this is sounding a little like drying your wet dog in the microwave.
>
>Just looked in my convention notes and the instructor's name is Tom
>Patten, Great Susquehanna Piano Co., Milton, PA if you wanted to query
>him.
>
>Cheers,
>Tom
>--