cleaning

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:31:12 -0500

For what it may be worth for this thread, I successfuly cleaned a badly
smoke damaged piano with no odor left at all. The method may have
overkill but the piano had great sentamental value to the customer. The
case parts were cleaned with a product called Butchers Speedball
obtained at a janitor supply house. The man there called it the most
powerful spray and wipe cleaner available. The piano was restrung so I
could pull the plate and refinish the soundboard. That was the only way
I know to clean the bass strings and soundboard. The keys cleaned very
nicely using fiber glass beads in a sandblasting booth. The action parts
would probably have cleaned this way also but when I asked the customer
if she wanted all new action parts, she said yes. The labor for this was
probably less that blasting each part and reinstalling and regulating.
The customer was very satisfied with the job.

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> The back of the piano can also be washed down with Murphy. Be sure to take
> the vacuum to the insides of the piano, under the keys, etc.
>
> This should get rid of most of the smoke smell. Unfortunately, just like a
> piano that was caught in a fire, you'll never get rid of all the smoke smell,
> but the above proceedure will get rid of enough if it to make it a little
> more acceptable.

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN