Piano Mystery

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:30:12 -0700

Patrick Poulson wrote:
> Why is it that on some uprights the let-off distance increases as the action gets more and more out of regulation?
> .-

Patrick,

I have seen this many times, on old uprights. My guess is that the key
dip had become insufficient as the balance rail punchings compressed and
the expedient fix was to increase letoff until the hammers could go into
check. Since this can be done in under 15 minutes, it's very likely the
technician just did it along with the tuning without mentioning it to
the customer.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT
Santa Cruz, CA