Harpsichord String Replacement

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 01:46:09 -0700 (MST)

Hi Delores:

Yes. Place about a half inch length wire pointing downward along the side
of the tuning pin. At the point where a becket hole would ordinarily be,
make a 90 degree bend in the wire as you begin to coil it around the pin.
Make sure that you keep tension on the wire until you have made at least
2 or three coils passing over that 1/2" length. You would probably do
well to keep tension on til all the coils are made and you have put the
T pin in its hole and started driving it in. Most harpsichords have 10
or 12 coils on each pin. Try to match the amount of coils with the
neighbors. You normally want the bottom 2 or three coils to be below
where that pigtail end of the wire is. If the bottom coil passes over the
pigtail just as the note arrives at pitch, there is a good chance that
even a new string would break at the sharp bend going over the wire end.
I could tell you how I know, but yeah, you've probably already figured
that out. Sometimes it is necessary to push down the bottom coil to keep
it from jumping over a previous coil when it it brought up to pitch.

Jim Coleman, Sr.