de-stringing

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:07:13 -0500

Hi Ted,
	I am wondering if there is an article or book some where that
describes tempering of steel and iron.  I had to fashion a
"screwdriver" from a piece of #9 wire which is soft.  (Farmers use it
on corner posts)   The end was hammered flat and ground to shape on
an emory wheel (grinder).    However it was too brittle and broke.  I
needed this to get at the screws securing damper levers to the brass
rail in an old Kimball upright.   There is a 14 inch screw driver
from Snap On (for carberators) but it is too expensive. I like the
soft iron wire because it can be bent to get past an angle or two.

Richard Moody   (South Central South Dakota)