ramblin' (tunign by pure 5ths)

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:15:13 -0500

Frank Weston wrote

	Of course you can't have pure 5ths and pure 4ths in the same
temperament!  There are two immutable laws of the Universe which
should
concern persons attempting to tune a keyboard instrument.

1.  You never get something for nothing.
2.  n*log2(3/2)  will never be equal to n for any value of n except
zero.

According to math, pure fourths and fifths cannot exist in the same
temperement of a 2/1 octave.  However it should be noted that one set
of fourths and fifths in an octave beat at the same rate, while the
other set of fifths and fourths, the fourths beat twice as fast as
the fifths.

>From the beat tables in Reblitz first ed. illus.4 - 13.

	For example F to Bb beats at ..790 and Bb  to F fourth beats the
same .790.    However F to C beats at .590, while C to F beats 1.180,
or exactly twice as fast.
Looking at the minor third major sixth relation in the same octave,
we find the F to Ab bewats at 6.390, while the Ab to F sixth gives
the same 6.930 beats.

	OK so what is the significnace of these observations.  Well right
now in exploring Jim Coleman's widened temperament octave, (or WTO ?
 : )) it would serve us to know which fourth is at the same to which
fifth and which one beats twice as fast.  But that is way ahead of
the scheme.  First we need to see how it is based on the
fundamentals, of both music and math.

	Frank gives the formula of n*log2(3/2), which I think means fifths
afftecting n somehow.  3/2 is the ratio of the perfect fifth. But the
explaination,  "n*log2(3/2)  will never be equal to n for any value
of n except zero." I need some help with, as I was always slow in
math.

	We know that according to the piano keyboard and the music staff, a
series of 12 fifths equals a series of 7 octaves.  The octave has a
ratio of 2 to 1 and the fifth a ratio of 3 to 2.  So  the frequency
of seven octaves is figured out as 2^7 or two the seventh power.
If the beginning note has a frequency of
27.5 it's octave would be twice that 55.
 LIke wise the
frequency of the fifth above 27.5 would be 27.5 times 3/2 or or
41.203.  Now if you do the math of computing the frequency of seven
octaves, multiply 27.5 times 2 to the 7th power (2^7 as the computer
understands)(or 27.5*2^7 in a spread sheet) =  3520.000
We said 12 fifths equals 7 octaves, so mathematically in a
spread sheet it would look like 27.5*(3/2)^12 = 3568.024.    That is
some what more that seven octaves, as 27.5*2^7 equals 3520.000.
This difference is called a comma and it even has a name.
(Pythagerous. )?   So if 12 fifths are to fit into 7 octaves
some compromises have to be made. The theorists then said shorten or
narrow the fifth to somehting less than 3/2.  Some more math people
came along later on and said, the problem of fitting 12 notes in an
octave in a maner musically acceptable, could be solved by the
formula using
the 12 th root of 2.  That should look like   2^(1/12).  The twelve
means that 12 notes go into an interval that will be double at the
13th note.
	Here for now it is time to quit, check the math, and check the
formulas in a spread sheet.
What we are getting at is exploring the possibilities of octaves that
are not the 2/1 ratio.  As Jim has indicated in another post, it
looks like the incredibly small widening of the octave from 2 to
2.004 will yield perfect 5ths for at least 7 octaves.  Having tried a
widened temperament octave, and hearing the resulting pure fifths, we
might be on a break through as great as the discovery of ET itself. I
think it all hinges on the fourth which Jim and the math predicts
will be faster, and I for one hearing pure fifths would also like to
hear pure fourths at the same time. It is impossible on paper, and
even more unlikely for pure fourths if the octave is widened, as for
pure fourths one needs a narrow octave.  Like the old commercial
said,
"They said it couldn't be done, they said nobody could do it....."

Richard Walkin the Dog.