Piano Mystery #2 - Answer

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 07:21:58 -0700

What I found was a 3/8" square iron rod about 3 feet long lying on top
of the #6 screw, that I mentioned in my last post.  The whole mess was
positioned just behind the key retainer.  This strange object had fallen
from a slot morticed in the part of the fallboard that is horizontal
when the board is open for playing.  Fortunately only one of the screws
was missing altogether even after turning the action upside down and
giving it a good shake!  But I'm still paranoid about it!  That rascal
is bound to find a good place to really mess up things, right?  The wood
looked like standard Oriental soft mahogany.  With two pieces of
toothpick added to each hole, I still didn't get the screws as snug as I
would like.  I wish I'd had 3/4" #6's with me.  I'll have to take them
next time.

Richard Moody wrote:

> Seeds, perhaps not watermellon.
>
> rm