ramblin' (tuning by pure 5ths)

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 12:42:01 -0500

List,

	I have a beat chart on a spread sheet from Microsoft Works for
windows. It's set up to show the beat rates for 5ths 4ths 3rds, m3rds
m6ths and Major 6ths.  It might work on spread sheet for 3.1.
Should be opened by MS office.  Any how I can email it as a file and
you can see if your favorite spread sheet program can open it.
Otherwise I can try to get it on Quatro Pro.

	The features are that you can give a value of  + or - cents to one
note and it will, show the resulting frequency,  show the change in
beat rates for the intervals formed above and  below (for those
intervals using the changed notes's partials)

	You can compute for 442 or any value for the whole spread sheet.

	You can use stretched octaves, I have it for 2.004, which is what
Jim suggested for the pure fifths temp.

	Interesting to  note the actual beat rates in .001 numbers.  The
closest the fifths get to pure is .1 per second after A4 - A5
octaves.   .

----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
>
>                            Tuning procedure
>
> 1. Tune A4 to 440
> 2. Tune D4 to A4 pure (make F3-D4 equal to F3-A4.  (The 6th 10th
test)
> 3. Tune A3 to A4 wide almost 2 bps. Compare F3-A3 and A3-A4 (3rd
Tenth)
> 4. Compare A3-D4 4th the same speed. Use 3rd 6th test but with >
diff.

snip

On the spread sheet, this octave ends up at slightly less than 1/2
bps.  However on my third trial it sounded more than 1 bps.  rm