Shop Setup

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 22:12:16 -0700

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
>    Does anyone have any (for me) last minute ideas/suggestions for a
> setting up a new shop

Avery, one the big dealers in town had an action rack that I copied and
made some changes to.

It consisted simply of two 2x4's bolted to the wall with good sized
dowels (1") inserted into holes bored at a slight up angle. (about 15
degrees) I started to copy it exactly, but then I started to think about
what might happen if I left the action on it for any length of time in
the soggy South.  So I added a third 2x4 in the middle and spaced the
others closer to the sides.  Then I thought the 2x4's might not be
strong enough so I replaced them with 4x4's (Just call me OVERKILL!!)
Since I had much more strength there, I thought that rather than putting
the holes at regular intervals down the center, I would put two lines of
holes staggered from side to side to give more adjustment
possibilities.  So now I have an action rack that runs from floor to
ceiling, that is adjustable for any height grand action, case part, or
anything else that is at least 2' long.  I have a couple of thin pieces
of plywood around, in case I have to store an upright action.  Best of
all, if I need more floor space for pianos, I can unload and remove any
of the dowels to make room against the wall for a new arrival.  At one
time, I had 3 grand actions, 2 uprights, and case and action parts for
seven pianos on the one rack.  I don't know how I ever did without it
before.  Unclutters your shop in a hurry!

Parts: I had them above my workbenches at one time, but you get too many
boxes of them after awhile!  If they get too low they conflict with
rotation of actions in cradles, so I covered one wall of the shop with
plywood and attached all the parts boxes to it sitting on 1x2 strips and
hanging on screws. The area is six feet wide and floor to ceiling with a
step stool handy.

Tool: I like them in drawers! They rust less and can be kept so that if
something is missing it is obvious.  I have several deep drawers with
sliding trays that are compartmented and labeled with the type of tool
that belongs in it.  These are shop tools I'm talking about, my working
tools stay in my case.

Power tools:  Should be all in one area mounted on pull out tables.
This way you can pull out the tool you need and shove back the one you
just finished with.  I like the center work bench idea too, but never
had the room.  I bought a 6' and 8' lunchroom folding table from Sam's
that we open up in the middle when we work through rebuilding an
action.  Most of the time the 8' is clamped to the far side of the 6' as
a backstop to keep parts from disappearing in that direction.

Shop Vise: My big vise is mounted on a piece of 2x10 cut back to 9-1/4"
that slides in an open topped box made of plywood.  It can be pulled 18"
out from it's stored position to clear the other tools along side.  A
work support roller 4' down the bench does the same thing for long
pieces.  The vice, bandsaw, bench grinder, radial arm and Drill press
are all right together and pull out when needed.  I bought the biggest
shop-vac I could find and mounted it in the attic.  I made a plenum and
pipes of PVC to each power tool to suck off dust when the tool is
running.  Turn the tool on the vac starts!  Since it is in the attic,
there is little noise.  My next project is to put an air compressor up
there!

If you get a chance, cover the top of one workbench with plexiglass. It
is easy to clean when you work with felt and can be used to cut material
with one of the telfa rotary cutters without dulling the blade.  Their
regular pad is too deep for my workbench and the wife gripes when I use
the kitchen table!  Also buy about 4 of the one-jawed clamps (the ones
that attach to a round headed bolt counter-sunk into the workbench top
at handy locations so you can clamp the backs of action frames down
while you attack them with whatever.  Order at least 2 extra bolts with
each clamp.  You'll need them.  2 of the clamps are often used on the
bench press.

You asked about pegboard.  I have it over two benches now, but not for
tools.  I use the standard fixtures like they have in the stores but
shorter and when I buy something that has the hanging hole at the top
for display, I take it out of the bag and hang it up on a similar
fixture over my workbench until I need it.  Then I carefully cut open
the plastic of the package in order use the item and then return it to
the package and hang it back up.  That way these things are not "eaten"
by my shop "gremlins"!  A good example is my extra packages of voicing
needles.

That's all I can think of now.  It's getting late.  Getting organized is
more fun that working any day!  Have fun!

Warren
--
Home of the Humor List
Warren D. Fisher