How to adjust glocken in Steinway D

Mon, 30 Jun 1997 07:55:53 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> ----------
> What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a (usually) small device containing a calibrated
mass that is attached to a (usually) piezoelectric material that
generates an electrical signal when it is disturbed. If the
accelerometer is disturbed just a little bit the signal will be small,
if the disturbance is greater the signal will be larger. In other words,
the signal amplitude is proportional to the rate of acceleration of the
object being measured. On a larger scale this is how the magnitude of
earthquakes is measured. Those that I have used are considerably smaller
than that -- about 8 or 10 mm in diameter and perhaps 12 mm tall. They
are attached to the surface under consideration -- usually by "gluing"
them on with a wax based adhesive -- and the electrical signal is sent
to an analyzer of some sort. The type of analyzer used will be
determined by what you want to measure. It could be something as simple
as a voltmeter but is usually something that will display the frequency
spectrum and the amplitude of the motion of the vibrating object, i.e.,
a spectrum analyzer.

> Will it help me in my sex life...

I would normally say, probably not. These days, however, I can't be so
certain. It really depends on a number of factors that are beyond the
scope of this column. Be assured, though, if it does we'll not hold it
against you.

> ...or is it
> good only for the shop? SICR  :  ))

Their usefulness in the shop is rather limited and fairly time
consuming. Kind of like the Internet.

> Wondering Richard

ddf