Steinway flat board

Wallace F. Wilson (WV) UniversityofCharleston
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:56:52 -0500 (EST)

At 08:25 PM 3/19/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I assume you ran a thread along the longest rib to determine
>this?  Seems pretty interesting that you have adequate
>downbearing on a flat board.  If this really is the problem, I
>would contact Steinway to see what kind of deal they could
>give the owner on rebuilding at their restoration shop if any.
>Who would expect an eight old high quality piano would have this
>kind of problem.  Of course I live in Piano Heaven...California.
>Good luck...
>
>David ilvedson, RPT (ilvey)

I certainly did.  I measured crown everywhere I could under there between
ribs. Remembering that manufacturers used to build  crown at the widest
part, and some now build it along the bridge, I measured all accessible
places for a trace of crown.  Just to save some the trouble of asking, I do
know how to measure crown, and know the difference between crown and
bearing.  The bearing is not consistent.  The tone is dead in the lower
treble section.  Ring times in bass are 35-45 seconds, about 30 in the tenor
decreasing to 20 in the midrange, 6-8 seconds in lower treble, and mostly
about 5-6 seconds in upper treble until extreme end of piano.

Also, I called Steinway, but the party I requested has not called me back
yet.  Of course, to play the game correctly, I shall try again ....   (sigh)

Thank you for your comments.  I particularly like the suggestion that they
might like to have a hand in correcting a bad situation.  The customers are
influential, well connected people!
Wally Wilson