Fw: loose pins

Don Price dcp@sosinc.net
Sat, 03 May 1997 10:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

----------
 Date: Saturday, May 03, 1997 10:36:49
 From: dcp
 To: Group
 Subject: loose pins

 I know there were some messages regarding this some weeks ago,  but I
 discarded them.  (I know. I know.  Something you haven't used for 10 years
won't be
 needed until  2 days after you throw it away.)  Yesterday I had two
 console pianos with loose  tuning pins.  On one I suspect a crack because
 the loose pins were all on the bottom row.  On the other piano the complete
 block is shot, because many pins won't hold after driving to the plate, and
 the others have all have very low torque.    Driving is no longer an option
 on either piano.  My initial response to the customer was to get another
 piano,  that the cost  of repair would probably be more than the value of
 the piano.  However, they still want  information about repair.
 	Questions:  If pins are removed, what do you recommed for the pin
 holes--
 rosin, epoxy,   CA,   ???
                                    How do you apply the epoxy, CA, or
 whatever?
                                    Are the pins then driven or turned?

                    Assuming the same pins and strings are used, what is
                    considered a standard  time & charge for  removing,

                    doping the holes  and replacing all the pins?

 Thanks  ahead for all your info.

 dcp@sosinc.net
 Don Price  RPT
 816 Vickie