reply

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Sat, 03 May 1997 22:22:59 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-03 21:10:53 EDT, pianoman@inlink.com (James Grebe)
writes:

<< As I have gotten older I have found it easier to stick to my guns when
 giving an opinion like, "the piano does not warrant the repair and the cost
 is too much to come out on based on what the piano is worth before and
 after the repair.
 	Stick to your guns and let someone else take their money and receive bad
 vibes when they find out too late it wasn't worth it. >>

James and All,

Maybe it's because I too have gotten older (I like to think it's sort of like
fine wine <g>), but seriously, I've come to think it's more because we've all
been there too. When we first started, every single job opportunity was
extremely important. As we gained more and more customers, more and more
experience, and consequently, more and more confidence, we learned that we
didn't have to take every single job just to survive. With that knowledge we
learned to look at the long term as well as the short term.

I no longer have difficulty with those old klunkers that deserve to retire,
and I no longer have difficulty telling their owners just that. My basic
guideline is that if it costs more to repair it that it can be sold for,
retirement time is here! I tell the owner they are better off saving that
money toward a better instrument.

Now what do I do when the client _really_ can't afford a better piano? I will
nurse that baby along till they can. If something breaks that little Susie or
Johnny needs in their current playing ability, l'll fix that one thing. Any
more than that I'm just not willing to do. If they want it "fixed up," there
is always someone else (like James said) who is willing to take their money.

Gina Carter