Seating/false beats

John Peters jpeters9@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 04 May 1997 01:34:32 -0700

Hi Ron,

Judging from the loose wippen flanges, etc, I suspect that the piano had
received some hard use...which may have resulted in strings riding up on the
bridgepins (?). As I recall, the soundboard did have crown and the problem
disappeared after reseating the strings. I don't know if I would have been
able to observe the problem without tapping a few down. It was easy to see
the string move down against the bridge, however, after receiving a light tap.

>How could you tell the strings were up the pins? Was there a visible gap?
That would sure scare me!  I'd check the soundboard crown and bearing. It
sounds to me like the board has gone concave and the resulting negative
bearing is floating the strings up

John Peters
jpeters@netcom.com