Another kind of wax story

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Mon, 05 May 1997 00:50:55 -0500 (CDT)

Dear List,

Speaking of wax, here is an experience for those who haven't been there,
and a gentle reminder for those who have.

I just finished doing a tuning pass on a piano I purchased from a retired
restaurant/club owner.  I noticed evidence of some candle wax on a few
tuning pins in the treble area.  Without thinking of any possible
consequences, when the time came to slide the tuning lever on a tuning pin
with wax residue, I noticed that pin did not respond like the previous
tuning pins, kind of felt spongy and insecure.  When I moved to the next
tuning pin (non wax), the tuning lever would not stay on when I applied
leverage.  It kept slipping off.  Really weird feeling...and then it dawned
on me.  There was now wax inside the tip.

Needless to say, it was not the easiest task to eliminate the residue
inside the tip before it would not slip anymore.  That is the first time
that ever happened in my experience, and hopefully, it will be the last.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician