Hollow drills

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Mon, 05 May 1997 20:46:05 +0100

Dear All,

I have a Brimsmead grand coming up soon, which has several broken screws
in the beam rail (the piece of wood you screw the hammers too).  I have
worked on these pianos before.  This is a common problem, due to a beech
wood beam rail  and rusting of the extra long screw which  accommodates
the hammers and the set off (let off) prolong.  The last one I did I
replaced the beam rail.  However, this client only wishes me to regulate
his piano and of course, repair broken screws.  I have heard of hollow
drills which you choose the size of drill to match the screw you wish to
drill out, drill down the screw and then the screw falls out and you
just plug the hole and re-drill.  Has anyone used these drills and what
success have they had?  if they are of any use,  this means I can do the
job on site and keep the cost down.   The client is reluctant to pay for
a new beam rail due to the age of the piano.

regards,

Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |