Hollow drills

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 05 May 1997 18:15:37 +0000

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a Brimsmead grand coming up soon, which has several broken screws
> in the beam rail (the piece of wood you screw the hammers too).  I have
> worked on these pianos before.  This is a common problem, due to a beech
> wood beam rail  and rusting of the extra long screw which  accommodates
> the hammers and the set off (let off) prolong.  The last one I did I
> replaced the beam rail.  However, this client only wishes me to regulate
> his piano and of course, repair broken screws.  I have heard of hollow
> drills which you choose the size of drill to match the screw you wish to
> drill out, drill down the screw and then the screw falls out and you
> just plug the hole and re-drill.  Has anyone used these drills and what
> success have they had?  if they are of any use,  this means I can do the
> job on site and keep the cost down.   The client is reluctant to pay for
> a new beam rail due to the age of the piano.
>
> regards,
>
> Barrie.
>
> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK PIano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED
>
> .-

Barrie

This would be an excellent way to remove the broken screw shanks. I have a catalog from
Woodworker's Supply in US, (505) 821-0574. They have 4 different sizes of screw extractors
- 1/4" x 2, 3/8 x  2,  3/8 x 4-1/2 and 1/2 x 4-1/2. The two smaller ones sell for less than 15
dollars. They ship to foreign countries.

Hope this helps.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT