how loose revisited

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Wed, 07 May 1997 18:29:50 +0000

> humidity went up quite a bit. The average torque went up to around 50
> inch pounds, the Eb in the D to 15 inch pounds, but the low A in the same
> piano is now 5 inch pounds. I checked the torque in a Steinway B

David,

	I don't know about your humidity fluctuations, but up here in
Canada, anything below 50 in/lbs will not hold pitch. When I repin a
piano, the *average* tension on the new pins is around 120-130
in/lbs, which reduces to 100 or so after a couple of tunings. Any new
pianos that come in with less than 60 in/lbs are sent back as
warranty returns.
	5 in/lbs will not hold tension in any area, are you sure of the
reading?

Thats how loose I judge 'em
8-)  Happy Tuesday

Rob Kiddell,