V P Elections

Tue, 06 May 1997 18:22:22 -0700

Jim, Wim, Jon, and List,

While I concur, in part, with Jon about using a different list for some
discussions; I must respectfully suggest that the (however inadvertently
introduced) issues raised here are of substantive value to each of us.

If memory serves, and I was not present for what went on and therefore
admit to repeating hearsay, not only were there problems with the content
of what certain factions wanted to see happen, but also, and more
importantly, there were problems with the ways in which they tried to do
business.  That is to say that the "pot and kettle" name calling which has
become so rampant was not one sided.

Where I _may_ disagree, in part, with Jon, is that I believe that these
kinds of issues _are_ important to this list as well, and  we cannot avoid
them simply because some folks may view them as unpleasant.

If we take the largest (reasonable) context, and acknowledge that these
lists in general (and this list in particular) cater to technicians who are
generally above average to begin with, then I would suggest that, along
with such recognition, comes a certain level of responsibility to the
profession.  In _my_ view, this responsibility includes, taking on (in some
reasonable way) those issues which affect our professional lives, as well
as those which are specifically technical.

I freely admit that I keep coming back to issues that are arguably
philosophical, as much as technical in nature.  I also freely acknowledge
that these issues _may in part_ reside outside of what is generally
considered acceptable grist for our mutual mill.   On the other hand,   if
we are  going to view what we do as not simply bending pins  (or whatever),
then who we are as individuals enters into how we do our work, and  how we
conduct ourselves then becomes a relevant part of the discussion.   What is
necessary is for each participant to work to expand their point of view to
include that of their correspondent, whether specifically technical or not.

That's quite glib, and also quite difficult.

There is yet another issue at work here.

That is that the problems which have been most recently bubbling over since
ca. 1995 are not new.  These same, and similar debates have been marked
throughout the history of the PTG and its antecedents.  Some folks,
(perhaps including Jim) have been around  the guild long enough to be truly
tired of (what seems to be) virtually unrelieved infighting.  Others, (like
myself, for example) avoided the guild for many years before joining,
partly out of ambivalent feelings about an organization clearly in such
turmoil.

To the extent that any given entity becomes exclusive, rather than
inclusive, it loses a certain vitality.  To the extent that individuals  of
a group are excommunicated, either by choice, fiat, or denegration, the
group loses a degree of its own viability.  Surely, no positive purpose has
been served by the resignations of Fern and Bill.  Equally, none would be
served by the resignation of Jim, or anyone else for that matter.

In the instant case, the issues seem to revolve around Jim's  (well
intentioned, but improperly addressed) post.  The base issue is, however,
one which should be of concern to each of us;
that is some variation of "at what point do the ends justify the means?".

Jon, I do agree with you that this kind of thing is _probably_ better
discussed on the larger ptg-l list.  On the other hand, I do not know how
many of the folks on this list subscribe to the other.  Further, having
done no research, I am talking directly through my hat, but suspect that
many of the officers in the guild, and/or instructors at various guild
events (e.g., people who are, in one way or another, leaders in the
profession) are here rather than there.  Thus, there is some argument for
at least _some_ discussion of this type to take place here.

Jim has taken, and holds to, a certain stand.

Wim, I support Jim in his position as I supported  you  recently when I
thought you were being inappropriately    treated.

	"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of
moral crisis,
		do not cry out."

			- Dante Alighieri

Best to all.

Horace

>In a message dated 97-05-05 22:56:26 EDT, Jim Byrant writes:
>
>>I promise you this, I will
>>continue to speak out on the issues, and if the time ever comes I that I am
>>not willing to do so I will resign from PTG.
>>
>>  If bitterness creeps into my posts I think, and trust them to, that the
>>list will let me know in no uncertain terms.
>

>Jim:
>
>You asked for it, you got it. You are an expremely bitter person. Please
>stops speaking out on the issues.
>
>Wim

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"The defining statistic of death is that it has a one to one ratio."

		- George Bernard Shaw

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942