Dampers

Wed, 07 May 1997 07:47:26 -0700

Jim, John, et al,

In addition to using the #7 bit recommended by John, I use a burnishing
tool made of a piece of brass all-thread, turned down to appropriate size
for a length of about 1-1.5" from the tip, and fitted to a 40watt soldering
iron.  The heated rod not only correctly sizes the felt, but burnishes it
as well, providing a smoother bearing surface for the damper wire.

(I blatantly stole this idea from Susan Graham.)

Best to all.

Horace

>JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> List;
>>   I am in the process of fabricating a new damper guide rail and a question
>> has entered my mind:  Is there a correct size for the hole in the guide
>> rail??
>>   I know that the holes will be lined with felt and that almost any size
>> hole, correctly placed, will work as adjustments can be made through use of
>> different thicknesses of felt.
>> But................Is there a "correct" size hole for the guide rail ??
>> Jim Bryant (FL)
>
>I use a #7 bit.
>
>John Hartman

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"The defining statistic of death is that it has a one to one ratio."

		- George Bernard Shaw

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942