String spacing

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Wed, 07 May 1997 13:39:38 -0700

Pianotoone@aol.com wrote:

> On several occasions I have tried to space strings on spinet/console pianos
> only to have the strings slide back together after I removed the spacing

Dick,

Another thing that could cause your problem is a pressure bar that is
too high!  This doesn't allow enough friction on the string to keep it
in place when you space it. Sometimes just a small turn on the two
nearest screws will cure the problem. Use a big screw with a big vise
grip attached out to the side.  Push down on the top of the screwdrive
and turn the screw with the vise grip.  If you are next to a wall open
up two big phone books and put half on top of the piano and half behind
it to push against the wall. (after you've taken the lid off!)

Hope this helps,

Warren

--
Home of The Humor List