center pin reamers, homemade

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Wed, 07 May 1997 22:03:42 -0400

Warren Fisher wrote:

> Richard Moody wrote:
> >
> > Oops almost missed it, since it was "buried"
> >         To make a center pin file/reamer,
>
> Richard,
>
> Did you ever chuck a center pin into a dremel tool and ream a bushing
> that way.  I've been playing around with this for about eight years ever
> since Susan Graham wrote it in the Journal for production repinning in
> the shop. There was a training lag there but it's very uniform when you
> get up to speed.(Ha!)  Just curious.
>
> Warren
>
> --
> Home of The Humor List
> Warren D. Fisher
> fish@communique.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Piano Technicians Guild
> New Orleans Chapter 701

Warren and list,

     I used to use this method a lot but it was suggested to me that I
might have trouble with the pin heating up and reaming the later centers
different than the first ones.  Since then I took the lists advice and I
bought the reamers designed by Don Mannino. They're available from
Schaff for about $15.00 I think. In any case I now believe that to have
been great advice. I find the results extreemly consistant and
predictable. Kudos to you Don if you're reading.

                                     Greg--