fast repetition -Reply

DougHersh@aol.com DougHersh@aol.com
Fri, 09 May 1997 20:34:30 -0400 (EDT)

<< How much of a factor can the backcheck play in
 fast repetition?  I've heard that analogy before in
 Yamaha classes (backcheck wire "spring" sort of =
 rep lever) and can see some truth to it when you
 have a long note followed by a very short one.
 However, I don't think fast repeated notes (drum
 repetition) are affected by the backcheck.
 Vince Mrykalo

Vince,
   I work in a situation where a Yamaha U1 is really put through its paces by
a couple of players that DEMAND the utmost  performance out of an upright. I
have found that the backcheck angle and catching distance is critical. That
is only part of the solution, when it comes to fast drum repetition. It seems
that the jack limiting rail has to be as close as you can get without it
causing problems. I also believe as I think you stated in an earlier post
that the hammer return springs cannot be too strong. Also important is the
blow distance and keydip. I have found that sometimes on certain Yamaha's the
blow distance needs to be shortened up of their specs, there is a range maybe
45 to 48mm. Once all of these items are in balance, I am amazed at how fast
that U1 will repeat.
Doug Hershberger, RPT