Electronic Tuning Aids

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Sat, 10 May 1997 20:42:49 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-05-10 15:47:24 EDT, Pat Hopkins writes:

<< I have been considering a tuning aid and have found one in the APS
Catalog.
  It is a KORG AT-12 AUTO Chromatic Tuner.  Is this any good?  My budget is
 very limited so I need something economical and does a good job.  Can
 anyone recommend this particular one or others?

If you feel you really need an electronic tuning aid (I use one, but only got
it after about 40 years of doing aural tunings), I would stay away from the
Korg. Not only does it not have a way of adding stretch, etc., but I found
that it tends to wander somewhere around true A440. It seems to change every
time you turn it on. I have one that I use only for chipping up when
restringing.

If you are really on a tight budget, you might look at picking up a used
Sight-O-Tuner. They are still much more accurate that most other machines
except for the SAT and Yamaha.

John Elving, RPT