SAT question..

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sat, 10 May 1997 18:24:03 -0700

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ..Warren sez:
>
> >Don't use the pre-sets unless you are tuning the exact model specified
> >in the list.  Generalized tunings just don't work without adjustments.
> >Do a FAC procedure on each piano.  You may still have to make
> >adjustments near breaks and with unusual scales, but they will be closer
> >than with a page tuning. You should be doing aural checks regularly as
> >backup to what the SAT says.
> >
> ..well, this is the point i'm trying to make..there is a Baldwin R setting
> in the SAT, and i'm tweeking in octaves 6-7..AND..i'm using an upright
> setting for a 4'11" Baby and it sounds GREAT...

The point I was trying to make, Phil, is do a FAC tuning for the Baldwin
and compare it to the page settings you are using.  The page may have
been taken from a previous scale of the Baldwin R and the one you are
tuning has been changed. The FAC procedure will probably do a better job
for you, because it reads that piano and designs a tuning specifically
for it.  Octaves 6-7 are tricky. When I was first starting, I set those
octaves too sharp.

Hope this helps,

Warren
--