SAT for JP ?

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Sun, 11 May 1997 21:48:38 -0400

JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> JP;
 The SAT is another tool, just like your tuning hammer and your
> screwdriver, it will not do the tuning for you but it will make you improve
> your tunings, no matter the level you feel you are at now. Go for it !!
> Jim Bryant (FL)
JP: Here is my experience with both tuning methods.
I have both an SAT and the Reyburn CyberTuner. I was taught to tune
aurally and I did so for many years. At that time I was a full time
teacher in the PA public schools and I tuned after school and on
Saturdays. I found that when tuning after teaching, fatigue was a
problem. The SAT (and later the RCT) were always at their best, putting
me in the ballpark quickly, thus keeping me fresh and alert enough to
adjust any interval by ear. Much faster than a temperament strip - and
yes, more expensive. But since then, I don't worry if I'm not at my
best.
When I've tuned aurally - which still has been necessary upon occasion
-  I've been much faster and accurate than ever before (at least that
what my watch and ear say), and as a result, far less fatigued, both
mentally and physically.
And when a pitch raise is needed---well, I don't wish to be without my
CyberTuner. For me, there's that much difference.
I do not wish to be without these tools.
Hope this helps.
Dan Hallett, Jr. RPT
Hallett' Piano Service
dhalle@toolcity.net