Steinway repetition

Mon, 12 May 1997 08:59:16 -0700

John,

I completely concur with Newton, and would add to his list that you check
the bore distance (which is now often short once the hammers are shaped)
and the hanging length (center pin of the hammer flange to center line of
the hammer molding).  Bore distance you can't do much with, but you can
(and may well have to) do some rehanging of hammers in the top two sections
to improve tone before messing too much with fixing repetition issues (to
the extent that you now can).

Also, because of the amount of work involved in repairing/re-engineering
action geometry issues, I'd suggest that you just make what is there work
as best you can, and then fix it when you can really take it apart.

If the action did come with stack height and/or other geometry issues,
don't be surprised or alarmed, just get in line and take a number.

I'd be interested in how others have dealt with these increasingly common
occurances.

Best.

Horace

>>gets caught on the back-check and freezes.  I'm suspicious of the action
>>geometry, particularly hammers over-striking, and stack height. Any info
>>would be appreciated.
>
>Hi, John,
>
>I have found such problems can be caused by too much felt on the hammer, the
>backchecks are too high, the hammer tail is too short and there being too
>much felt on the hammers (this usually occurs at the botom of the middle
>seciton), and finally too much wood removed from the tail, thereby moving
>the backcheck too close to the ahmmer felt.
>
>If the action is in the ball part as to up and down weight and has the
>average amount of lead in the keys I would look to the above before spending
>too much time and action geometry.
>
>Have fun!.
>
>        Newton
>        nhunt@jagat.com