Laptop? (was Re: SAT for JP ?)

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 12 May 1997 22:15:08 +0000

> I just bit the bullet and ordered an SAT II.  I am a new tech and I
> believe this will help me learn aural tunings faster while allowing me
> to jump in start getting a couple of bucks for the many floor tunings
> that I can pick up.   My aural tunings are coming along but I don't feel
> they're good enough to collect money for.  Now, after becoming familiar
> with the SAT, they should be.
>
> Glenn.

At the risk of offending *many* people on the list NEVER (shouting
emphasis noted) sell your aural skills short. That includes accepting
the judgement of an electronic tuning aid over your subjective
judgement. You simply cannot know whether your aural skills are based
on what a machine tells you is right.
	Too many tuners that I know have made the mistake of learning from
a machine, refining their aural skills second, and then returning to
the machine. This is a waste of time and effort, as you are
essentially re-learning what your ear already knows. Get as firm a
grip with your aural skills first (do the temperament and octaves
without the machine) and check your work with a machine or mentor.
Machines are useful tools when properly applied. Please learn why you
are using them!!!!

Remember, pianos are built for aural analysis.

Rob Kiddell
R.P.T., P.T.G.
C.A.P.T. Student
Edmonton, Canada