Laptop? (was Re: SAT for JP ?)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 13 May 1997 01:19:16 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Bob, Rob, List,

I have a brother and his family who are bona fide Canadians (and currently
Calgarians at that), so I hope you will consider the following short
discourse as an alternative route for learning the trade, especially since
it is the truth as a result of my own particular experience, and not one
necessarily representing the United States of America    :-)

When I was first introduced to the principles of piano tuning by my
Earth-Father, I decided I wasn't interested in learning how to tune pianos,
especially after he demonstrated and communicated to me what needed to be
done to arrive at the desired results.  It was just too much effort in my
mind's eye at the time.  A little later he gave me a Sight-O-Tuner (SOT)
stored on a shelf that was given to him.  He wasn't interested in this
device and thought I might be.  As it turns out, I was very interested.
That SOT eventually led to the full time professional activity of tuning
pianos.

I know everybody has their own story of the pros and cons on this subject,
but since that unassuming beginning with the SOT #386, I have been and
still am, a devoted customer, follower, and product of the Sanderson
legacy.  Without reservation I applaud those who endeavor the aural route
solely on its merits alone.  However, I am living testimony that the route
you speak unfavorably against isn't really that awful.  In fact, I bank on
it each piano I pitch raise and/or tune.

And as to the comment, "Remember, pianos are built for aural analysis."
I'm not certain that I follow that limited reasoning.  Piano manufacturers
surely have reasons for building pianos other than aural analysis.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician