Steinway repetition

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 13 May 1997 09:30:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Horace Greeley wrote:

>=20
> Also, because of the amount of work involved in repairing/re-engineering
> action geometry issues, I'd suggest that you just make what is there work
> as best you can, and then fix it when you can really take it apart.
>=20
> If the action did come with stack height and/or other geometry issues,
> don't be surprised or alarmed, just get in line and take a number.
>=20
> I'd be interested in how others have dealt with these increasingly common
> occurances.
>=20
> Best.
>=20
> Horace
>=20
>=20
__________________

I have to jump in this time too, if only to endorse what Horace has said=20
in a more direct way.  The problem is most likely as Newton suspects,=20
however, if not and you do have more serious problems such as geometry,=20
pinning, key leading, etc..., and the piano is still under warranty,=20
I recommend that you do nothing. It is their problem. If you do try and=20
help the customer you will in the end leave yourself vulnerable to someone=
=20
coming along later and claiming that this piano is no longer a Steinway pia=
no,
whatever that means, and/or that the warranty is voided. In spite of what=
=20
you may hear or want to believe to the contrary, this does happen- and it=
=20
can be independent of whether or not the customer was satisfied with your=
=20
work.  I have learned that the hard way. =20

If after the warranty period the piano still has problems, for whatever=20
reason, then that is the time you may consider solving deeper issues.=20
Granted, this comment probably does have more relevance to the last=20
action problem thread regarding capstan placement; in that case, I would=20
have recommended that even though the piano was out of warranty, I would=20
now only make modifications as part of a complete action replacement.=20
Not only is it obvious that nothing is original when everything is new,=20
but you can also promise optimal performance without qualification.

IMO, it is a sad commentary that there should be such a degree of mistrust=
=20
and cold-hearted competition in an industry which could benefit so much fro=
sincere and genuine cooperation, but that is business. Simply tell the=20
customer that the dealer is capable of taking care of serious performance=
=20
concerns that occur within the warranty period.  After the warranty period=
=20
you would be more than happy to address any concerns they may have at that =
time.

Good Luck,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College

=09=09=09
=09=D2Like a young man who decides to work for his examination in all
earnest from September 1st, and in order to strengthen his resolution=20
decides to take a holiday during August, so the present generation seems-
though this is decidedly more difficult to understand- to have made a=20
solemn resolution that the next generation should set to work seriously,=20
and in order to avoid disturbing or delaying the next generation, the=20
present attends to- the banquets. Only there is a difference: the young=20
man understands himself in the light-heartedness of youth, wheras our=20
generation is serious- even at banquets.=D3

=09=09=09=09=09Kierkegaard, 1846