SAT in low bass

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 08:13:02 -0400

>it was sharp by a great amount!  I love my SAT and it performs
>well for me, but it fooled me down in the low bass.

Every tool has its limits, the SAT included.

The problem you encountered is caused by the harmonic structure of any note.
THe SAT is listening to a partial an octave and a fifth above the note being
played.  If you consider the closeness of the partials in that range you cn
see how easily tuning to a different partial of the note can occur.  The
lower you are the more likely this will occur as well.

THe aural testing you did is the exact and proper procedure of using the SAT
when tuning an unfamiliar piano.

If in doubt, listen.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com