violin thread

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 07:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Travis --

One of the unexpected benefits of this thread is the chance to get better
acquainted with people.

There is that thrill when, against all expectation, all the musicians are
worth their salt. If one could collect, bottle, and sell the endorphins that
result, one could retire rich.

I doubt one can influence the development of absolute pitch by prenatal
exposure to piano tuning! (Good relative pitch, maybe?) I have heard a
musician whose mother played in an orchestra describe his immediate and
extremely emotional attachment to the pieces she was playing while pregnant.

Regards,

Susan

At 01:19 AM 5/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Susan, et.al: Another instrument is the voice. I think we can say that
>singing presents the same problems and benefit as instrument
>performance. Your comment in another post about only occasionally
>finding others that can play in tune well enough to give real pleasure
>in quartet playing (I paraphrase) is particularly true using the voice
>as the instrument. I was taught to sing harmony as a young child. Only
>once in my life have I had the opportunity to sing with three other
>fellows that could really "ring" a chord. What a thrill. I think that my
>constant awareness of harmony was the reason I did not enjoy my piano
>about two months after it was tuned. Since I could not afford a tuner
>that often I learned to tune it myself. That was about 47 years ago.
>Must admit it took longer than two months to get the hang of it, but
>with the help of the tuners bible at that time, by White, a generous
>technician in Houston and people at Schaff that I use to call until one
>day he said "why dont you join the guild where you will learn all those
>answers", I became a "Registered Craftsman"; 18 years ago. My daughters
>grew up with a piano always in tune. One plays violin and another,
>cello. They frequently tell people "you need to get that piano tuned".
>
>The influence of a well tuned piano on children reminds me of the time a
>young woman, great with child, set right behind me as I tuned her piano,
>hopeing the child would be imprinted with pitch memory, I presume.
>Probably drove the kid wild. No I dont know if it had any affect on the
>kid. They moved out of town.

 >>I have wondered for some time what effect a previous background in different
>> instruments has on the subsequent development of tuning skills. For me, the
>> transition from string playing to tuning was natural, and I wondered how
>> wind players felt about it, and whether their path differed from mine in any
>> way.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Susan
Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Agree with me now: it will save so much time."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant