SAT in low bass

Tunapiana@aol.com Tunapiana@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 10:45:10 -0400 (EDT)

<<  I love my SAT and it performs
 well for me, but it fooled me down in the low bass.  I've been leery of its
 bass capabilities ever since.  Can anyone explain why this happened and how
 the SAT can be used to home in on the correct pitch for these low notes?

Ted,

I have a Hale Sight-O-Tuner (digital, pre-curser to the SAT) and have never
been able to use it for tuning the bass strings on any small piano, and only
on a few grands does it give me the results I like down there. I think (my
theory) that it is just a combination of poor scale design and imperfect
string manufacture (it is just a spinet anyway),  and what the SAT "hears"  I
have found that it is a waste of time to even use the bass tune function on
my machine, however, it is extremely accurate at determining and calculating
scales for every type of piano I encounter. But I always use my ears only to
tune in the bass below C3. The same holds true for the treble section on some
pianos...hope this helps.

Greg Torres, Technician
Niceville, Fla
tunapiana@aol.com