Duplex noise ratio

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Tue, 13 May 1997 21:54:19 +0000

> Date:          Wed, 14 May 1997 10:02:45 -0400
> From:          Marcel Carey <mcpiano@multi-medias.ca>
> Subject:       Duplex noise ratio
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Marcel,

I don't mute off the front duplex area. Check each string of the
sizzling unison.  You may find just one sizzling.  I tend to
believe that it is usually hard spot(s) on the hammer
and I'll try a little striking point voicing with Glenn
Hart's thought the string voicing tool.  This is very shallow
probing with good lighting to see what your doing.  Voice and
listen.  The strike point is what gets compressed with playing
and hardness brings out those high harmonics.  The surface has
to have a slight fuzz over a hard interior.  I find with this
kind of voicing that the roundness of tone that was once
their returns.  Another possibity is seating at the front
pressure bars (directly from tuning pins) on the capo side.

ilvey
Pacifica, CA
> Hi List,
>
> I'm having trouble deciding what to do about front duplex sizzling noise I
> get on two Yamaha C-3. One is only 1 year old and the other is about 13. The
> older one I'm restringing now so the problem might go away. As for the
> other, I'm puzzled. If I mute the front duplex, then I loose too much
> volume. I know this duplex has a function, but the noise bothers me a lot.
> Has any of you found a practical solution to overcome this handicap? When I
> move the strings about, the noise sometimes will go and sometimes not.
> Should I mute only 1 string per unison? (I don't really like to see all this
> felt where it shouldn't be).
>
> Please Help!
>
> Marcel Carey, RPT
> Sherbrooke, QC