Kimballs and breaking strings

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 14:59:48 -0400 (EDT)

> Ended up replacing all string from there to the top
>  with half size smaller wire.
>  Travis Gordy

Although it seems to have solved your problem, I don't think this the answer.
Strangely enough, the breaking point is more determined by the bridge
placement and wire quality than the wire size. Smaller wire requires less
tension to come up to the same pitch, but still reaches the same percentage
of breaking strength as larger wire. Changing the wire size changes the
inharmonicity, not always for the better. My guess is that using the same
size of wire would have just as good a chance. Either it would solve the
problem because the original wire was bad, or it wouldn't because the bridge
scale was wrong.

Bob Davis