Confession time

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Wed, 14 May 1997 15:01:07 -0400 (EDT)

> One thing that
>  bothers me about the SAT, FAC tunings is that the beat rates of the 3rds
>  and 6ths start out faster in the temperament octave than my aural
>  tuning, and some of the 4ths have a tad more beat than I prefer. I must
>  admit I have not studied or analyzed the difference...

Travis,
If a calculated tuning has faster M3rds, M6ths, and P4ths than you are used
to, it's because the SAT makes a different assumption about the width of the
temperament octave. The SAT will start with an octave that is about .6 to .8
cents wide of a 4:2, which sounds pretty good on most pianos. You are aurally
tuning a narrower octave than the SAT. Tune A3-A4 by ear, then set the SAT
(in tune mode) on A5 (this is at the 4:2 level), play A3 and A4 and measure
the difference.  Also set the tuner at E6 and measure the difference. This
[6:3 coincidence] will be narrow in your tuning, and close to on in the SAT
tuning. It's a matter of preference as far as this octave goes, but it does
have ramifications later in the tuning with the spread of double and triple
octaves, and with the rate of increase of beats.

Using the box to keep track, explore several different octave widths. If you
prefer your octave width, the SAT can duplicate it easily by using a lower
stretch number and retuning the box so that the A matches. Just remember that
NO tuning decision comes free!

Bob Davis