FAC

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 14 May 1997 23:33:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi James:

In my articles currently in the Journal on altering the stretch
numbers, you can see the effect of the various stretch numbers.
Whatever stretch numbers are used, the program smooth curves them
together.  You were right in that the F3 primarily affects the
bottom of the piano. while the C6 primarily affects the top. And,
altering the A4 number alters the entire tuning.

Jim Coleman, Sr.

PS the SOT F4 stretch number still provides a good way to tune. As
you probably already know, it is still available on the SATs. There
are some occasions where it is better to use the F4 number. And
then again, there are some occasions where it is best not to use the
F4 number (ie the PTG tuning test), because it may stretch the lower
Tenor section too low. There is one caution I need to make for those
who use the SAT with FAC. If you measured F4 and the difference
between its 4th and 2nd partials and then stored the number with
the STO STRETCH button combination, after pressing the Stretch
button again and releasing, this puts you into the F4 stretch mode;
However, if you did not make the actual measurements from the
note F4, but instead used the previously measured F3, and then
pressed the Stretch button to get into the F4 Stretch mode, the
F3 number, being a much higher number than what can be measured from
F4 would give you a terrible tuning. Don't confuse the two stretch
modes.