Usable Lifespan (was Re: Confession time)

Thu, 15 May 1997 09:08:43 -0700

Avery,

I'm _very_ glad to chime in on this one.  Loudly, at that.

First, I must (with no modesty at all) relate that the vast majority of my
work over 30 years has been on concert/recording instruments.

These beasts have demands placed upon them that few private instruments
ever do (the exceptions being obvious).

My position on maintenance of these instruments flows from watching many
instruments over time, and being called in to do various things on many
others.

Suggested guidelines include, but are by no means limited to:

	1.- Restring the capo sections _at least_ once every two years.
		(Using existing pins, as possible, doing maintenance on
		the capo itself, bridges, etc.)
	2.- Complete restringing of the instrument every 5-7 years.
		(Yes, with whatever is needed at that time.)
	3.- Damper replacement with complete restringing, or as needed.
	4.- When stringing, do not go over 4/0 pins on Ds (period, no
		negotiation) or 5/0s on Bs (and smaller, depending on
		condition of the block).
	5.- When stringing, look for opportunities to improve tone and
		response.  These might include changing the angle
		of deflection (I use 1 to 1.5 degress, depending on the
		condition of the board) through plate placement or
		shimming/grinding of the aliquots.
	6.- Depending on overall use, plan on hammers, shanks and flanges
		roughly every 7-10 years.  There are too many obvious
		variables to waste errmail space worrying about them
		here.
	7.- ALWAYS keep a VERY sharp eye on the board.  I do not keep
		exhaustive records of this, although they might be helpful
		in institutional settings.  What I do do is to check crown and
		bearing both before and after restringing operations.
These days
		there are sufficient (and sufficiently competent) rebuilders
		around to make board/block replacement a viable alternative
		to replacing an entire instrument.

A starting point.

(These figures are not entirely arbitrary, they are the ones used for many
years by Steinway, London.)

Actually, as a fiddle player, your chair should be immediately aware of the
problems introduced by old strings.

Bye the by, Newton, in another post, talks about using metric wire on
Yamahas.  I would extend this to trying to identify (whenever reasonably
possible) the type of wire used on a given piano.  This means, of course,
that one winds up with several different types of wire...

Avery, this is a starting point.  As you are aware, I can go on at great
length, and not say much, so for now, I'll just sign off.  If you need more
ammunition, however...

Best and good luck.

Horace

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu