Duplex noise ratio

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Thu, 15 May 1997 16:29:14 -0500 (CDT)

Horace,

Having never put CA on a string, I haven't observed this for myself, hence the question. Being a moisture cure sort of stuff, I wonder if RH% during cure makes any difference. Cured CA in contact with strings doesn't seem to have any detrimental effects,
and I haven't observed any corrosion on CA'd bridge pins, so I'm assuming the stuff doesn't continue to absorb moisture after cure. Any Arizonians out there? Any other costal area representatives? It would be interesting if we could get some sort of regio
n/climate correlation here.

Ron Nossaman

At 08:04 AM 5/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Ron,
>
>Not being a chemist, I can only report observed circumstances.
>
>That being said, having tried the CA glue, it _seems_ to work against the
>steel like any acetone-based product; i.e., it corrodes it.  Or, at least
>weakens it to the point that, in strings have broken where the glue was
>applied, rather than at a bearing point.  I should point out that many of
>my clients live relatively close to the Pacific, and it is entirely
>possible that the salt air plays a part in this equation, so others may
>have had other experience.
>
>I do, however, like the glue drop idea, and use white or woodworker's glue
>in the same way.
>
>My preference to glue, however, is to use combinations of cloth-backed
>bookbinder's tape and/or bushing cloth to even out the sizzle.  Different
>pianos and circumstances require different amounts of this zing, and what
>is totally acceptable in one instance is a disaster in another.
>
>Then there are issues of the condition of the v-bar, the plate duplex,
>age/condition of the strings, et cetera ad nauseum,  all of which come into
>play _long_ before I do much with the hammers other than to make sure that
>they are set up as Antares has suggested.
>
>"Let the punishment fit the crime."  Sir Arthur Sullivan.
>
>Horace
>

>Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
>
>LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
>Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942